Friday, December 5, 2008

Introducing... ME!

Hey! Thanks for looking at our blog! My name is Shanna and I am one of your Netsmartz trainers. I’ll be popping in now and then to add any great resources I find, Internet safety tips, or just to give a Holla! to the schools I’ve been working with!

I have worked with Boys & Girls Clubs for over four years and I love it! I graduated in 2004 from Utah State University with my degree in Journalism/Psychology. I worked in that field briefly after graduation, but I quickly found my love for working with kids and non-profits, so I’ve been with the clubs ever since. I was the Park City Club Director for two years before I changed my focus to educating kids and teens on Internet safety. I understand how important it is for youth to be aware that not only does the Internet offer many resources and lots of fun, but using it also comes along with risks and responsibilities.

In my spare time, I love to cook and try new recipes. Hmm… on second thought, I don’t know if necessarily love to cook or if I just love to eat good food! So, I’m constantly collecting recipes-- I have torn-out, printed, or scribbled down ones all over my house! I also love multi-cultural events and festivals (this might be related to my aforementioned love of good food!), volleyball, live music, and spending time outside (in the summer!).

I truly believe in the mission of Boys & Girls Clubs and the Netsmartz program and I want to make the greatest impact I can with the work I do. We have worked very hard and we are extremely proud of the programs we offer, so please look to us for all of your Internet safety needs! Don’t forget, we not only do trainings for youth, but also for parents, communities, and educators.

Surf safe!
Shanna